- Recipe Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hrs 10 mins
- Total Cook Time: 2 hrs 20 mins
- Difficulty Level: Medium
About Sarson Ka Saag Aur Makki Ki Roti Recipe: The classic Punjabi dish: Sarsoon da saag te makki di roti. Best had with some white butter, jaggery or honey.This winter special combination of meal makes everyone drool in winters. As a traditional punjabi dish, saag means green and sarso means mustard.
Ingredients of Sarson Ka Saag Aur Makki Ki Roti: Along with a steaming hot makki roti and a dollop of butter or ghee this recipe is a yummy and lip smacking treat in winters. A mix of palak, bathua and sarson, pressure cooked and prepared in a host of spices, makes this a healthy winter treat. You can serve gud or jaggery as an accompaniment along with this dish.
Ingredients of Sarson Ka Saag Aur Makki Ki Roti
- For Saag:
- 750 gms sarson saag
- 250 gms palak saag
- 250 gms bathua saag
- 2 cups water with a pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup makki atta
- 4 Green chilli
- 25 gms ginger
- 2 Onions
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 100 gms ghee
- 1/2 tsp red pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- For Makki ki Roti:
- 1/2 kg makki Atta
- Water (for kneading)
- Ghee (for frying)
How to Make Sarson Ka Saag Aur Makki Ki Roti
Prepare the Saag:
- Add the three saags, salt and water into pressure cooker & cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Squeeze out saag and keep saag water aside. Mash saag in the cooker until coarsely ground, and add makki atta and stir.
- Put back saag water and a little fresh water & boil over slow fire.
- Add green chillies & ginger & cook till saag gets thick.
- For tadka, add chopped onions, ginger, garlic, red pepper powder; garam masala, dhania & saute until onions are light brown.
- Mix into saag & garnish with julienne of ginger fried in ghee.
Prepare Makki ki Roti:
- Knead the makki atta until it becomes a ball, add atta to dry it & knead.
- Heat the tava and add a little ghee so that it does not stick.
- Make round shapes of makki roti on chakla & carefully transfer to the tava.
- Cook with ghee till golden brown.
- Serve with hot sarson da saag and gur and white butter.